what i18n/pseudo-localization tool?
Thread poster: rma (X)
rma (X)
rma (X)
Jun 14, 2010

Hi everyone,
hope you had a great weekend and enjoyed the world cup
I have another question, this time the subject is internationalization (i18n) and pseudo-localization tool.

Can you please tell me what tool are you using for pseudo-localization and what were the reasons behind your decision to use that tool?

Thanks.

All the best.

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:47
Swedish to English
+ ...
What is it? Jun 14, 2010

What is an i18n/pseudo-localization tool? Do you mean software to convert, for example, from US English to UKE ?

Ivaylo Ivanov
Ivaylo Ivanov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Use any localization tool Jun 14, 2010

Every localization software has this feature - use Passolo or Catalyst, for example.

I haven't heard of a separate tool doing pseudolocalization only

Peter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudolocalization

rma wrote:

Hi everyone,
hope you had a great weekend and enjoyed the world cup
I have another question, this time the subject is internationalization (i18n) and pseudo-localization tool.

Can you please tell me what tool are you using for pseudo-localization and what were the reasons behind your decision to use that tool?

Thanks.

All the best.

[Edited at 2010-06-14 13:26 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:47
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
podebug Jun 14, 2010

rma wrote:

I don't actually use this tool a lot, but if your source files are Gettext PO, then the Translate Toolkit's podebug may be for you. It pseudo-translates PO files.

http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/toolkit/podebug

[Edited at 2010-06-14 14:37 GMT]

rma (X)
rma (X)
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for the tips Jun 15, 2010

@ivaylo: thanks for the tip. I was actually looking for a stand-alone i18n application.

@Peter: here's some more infos about this subject: http://www.suodenjoki.dk/us/productions/articles/localization.htm

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Wrong question ;) Jun 18, 2010

I guess you should rephrase your question
My selection of the tools usually depends on the software environment used by development team. I would use one tool for software developed in Delphi (it used to be Borland, I am not sure what is the name of the company now, Embarcadero?) and another for regular Visual Studio C# projects.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Doesn't come up Jun 19, 2010

My (limited) experience has been that this dilemma doesn't come up. These projects are so specialized that the use of a certain tool is mandated. Sometimes the software vendor has its own web-based translation environment and you have to work in that, sometimes not... but even if they don't have their own proprietary online or offline translation solution, clients are likely to mandate the use of a certain CAT for full compatibility.

Have you been given a bunch of software strings
... See more
My (limited) experience has been that this dilemma doesn't come up. These projects are so specialized that the use of a certain tool is mandated. Sometimes the software vendor has its own web-based translation environment and you have to work in that, sometimes not... but even if they don't have their own proprietary online or offline translation solution, clients are likely to mandate the use of a certain CAT for full compatibility.

Have you been given a bunch of software strings with the instructions to "Translate this"?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

what i18n/pseudo-localization tool?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »