How popular is MemoQ and is it worth buying?
Thread poster: Lorenzo Rossi
Lorenzo Rossi
Lorenzo Rossi  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 19:08
Member (2010)
German to Italian
+ ...
May 13, 2014

Hello Everybody

I have a question to those who know or work with MemoQ:
Do you know if many customers or translation agency work with MemoQ and if it's worth to buy a license for about Euro 600?

Lorenzo

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Translator Group Buy May 13, 2014

Ciao Lorenzo,

have you checked the current Translator Group Buy?

http://www.proz.com/tgb/865

You can save quite a lot

Daniela

[Edited at 2014-05-13 13:56 GMT]

Lorenzo Rossi
Switzerland
Member (2010)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Grazie Daniela May 13, 2014

Darò un'occhiata al link che mi hai indicato. Comunque volevo solo sapere da altri traduttori quali esperienze hanno fatto con il Software e se vale la pena di acquistarlo.

Grazie per la tua risposta

Lorenzo

Steven Segaert
Steven Segaert
Estonia
Local time: 20:08
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Don't speak Italian May 13, 2014

I don't know if it is "popular", but it is definitely worth using it.

I suggest you download the programme first and make use of the 45-day trial period. You'll discover soon enough whether this is the tool for you or not.

As for agencies: I have come across one project where I couldn't use MemoQ to translate, and that was a case where an agency wanted me to use an online TM. Other than that, MemoQ handles just about any format agencies can throw at you.

Kata Paulin
Kata Paulin  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2011)
Hungarian to English
+ ...
A resounding yes May 13, 2014

Dear Lorenzo,

Buying MemoQ might just be one of the best investments of your career as a translator. Beyond what Steven said about it being able to handle a variety of SDL/Trados-compatible bilingual formats, it will make your work so much easier and also boost efficiency.

[Edited at 2014-05-13 21:36 GMT]

Lorenzo Rossi
Switzerland
Member (2010)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 16, 2014

Thanks to everybody for your answers.

I have now downloaded a 45 day trial version. Within 45 days I will decide if I will purchase it or not.
It's a good CAT tool and it's easy to learn.

Have a great week-end.

Lorenzo

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
MemoQ May 16, 2014

Having used memoQ since 2009, I can say that it has definitely boosted my productivity and quality compared to what I used before (the old Trados).

I would say that, although SDL Studio is still used by many agencies and even direct customers, memoQ is the second most used tool and is increasingly used among by customer base of approx. 30 agencies and direct customers. memoQ will also make a very good tool for SDL Studio-projects, although I also recommend that, if you do Studio-bas
... See more
Having used memoQ since 2009, I can say that it has definitely boosted my productivity and quality compared to what I used before (the old Trados).

I would say that, although SDL Studio is still used by many agencies and even direct customers, memoQ is the second most used tool and is increasingly used among by customer base of approx. 30 agencies and direct customers. memoQ will also make a very good tool for SDL Studio-projects, although I also recommend that, if you do Studio-based projects, you also buy a license of Studio to better interface with your customers using Studio.
Collapse

Lorenzo Rossi
Switzerland
Member (2010)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hello Tomas May 16, 2014

I like Memo Q and I probably will purchase it at the end of trial period. I already use Studio so I think that Memo Q will be a good choice.

Thank you.

Lorenzo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How popular is MemoQ and is it worth buying?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »