MemoQWeb ... frustrating user experience. Any thoughts?
Thread poster: Soraya Guimarães Hoepfner
Soraya Guimarães Hoepfner
Soraya Guimarães Hoepfner  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:32
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jul 11, 2014

Hi All,

I have a new client and for this project, around 10 K, I was requested to use MemQWeb...

So far, it is the worst SaaS solution I've tried ever. And I have used others, such as Wordbee, and proprietary solutions from US agencies.

I have tried in 3 different browsers, Firefox, Chrome and IE, same result: incredibly slow, I have to wait to see what I have type in, and in case of a typo, I have to pause between every backspace, so I am sure I do not del
... See more
Hi All,

I have a new client and for this project, around 10 K, I was requested to use MemQWeb...

So far, it is the worst SaaS solution I've tried ever. And I have used others, such as Wordbee, and proprietary solutions from US agencies.

I have tried in 3 different browsers, Firefox, Chrome and IE, same result: incredibly slow, I have to wait to see what I have type in, and in case of a typo, I have to pause between every backspace, so I am sure I do not delete more than necessary. Also, to confirm segments, it takes soooooo long until my Ctrl + Enter happens, that I am tempted to jump to next segment manually, using cursor. Impossible.

In terms of features, it is quite limited, I have found no way of selecting multiple segments to simply confirm them and save me from the painful Ctrl + Enter individual task.

Agency reports no other translator has made any complaint, which makes me wonder what am I doing wrong, since, as I've mentioned, I have access to other similar Web tools and none is so slow in away that affects my productivity.

I would love to hear from someone else experience, but it seems I will lose this client, since I cannot commit to work in such a conditions another time.

Best,

SHoepfner
Collapse

Denis Hay
Denis Hay
probably something with your web browser / antivirus Jul 11, 2014

Hi Soraya,

The fact that others don't have any particularly slowness issue should already be a good indicator that the problem might be on your side.

I was about to suggest something browser-specific, but if you tried all 3 major ones, then I would suggest it might rather be on the antivirus front or something like that. It could very well be that the web traffic analyzer part that most AV have nowadays can sometimes be playing tricks on you and applets you download/run
... See more
Hi Soraya,

The fact that others don't have any particularly slowness issue should already be a good indicator that the problem might be on your side.

I was about to suggest something browser-specific, but if you tried all 3 major ones, then I would suggest it might rather be on the antivirus front or something like that. It could very well be that the web traffic analyzer part that most AV have nowadays can sometimes be playing tricks on you and applets you download/run directly from a web browser (which pretty much all web-UI translation interfaces rely on).

To answer a bit more precisely on several points, you can perfectly select several segments in the latest memoQ Webtrans. You can even split&join, have proper WYSIWYG formatting (rather than tags) for 80% of the formatting you can find in most docs and you even have a rel-time preview of your files just like in memoQ.

A good test for you would be to simply download & install memoQ and use that to connect to your project (webtrans is only 1 possible method). Just use the server URL which was given to you as well as your login and password.

If you get such a sluggish response in memoQ too, then you'll know that it's not the whole Web-UI thing but rather a networking issue between you and your client (as other translators don't seem to have). At least that will be a good start for investigating things.
Collapse

Denis Hay
Denis Hay
forgot the CTRL+ENTER Jul 11, 2014

Hi again,

I forgot one other point I wanted to comment on: please do use CTRL+ENTER as soon as you've translated a sentence.

That way, other translators can potentially get leverage (fuzzy match, concordance search, etc.) immediately rather than having to wait for your input. Once your performance issue has been solved, this should not be an issue.

Steven Segaert
Steven Segaert
Estonia
Local time: 18:32
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Other solutions Jul 11, 2014

Hi Soraya,

Provided your client is happy with your work and you are happy with them, I would explore other solutions.

Perhaps they can provide you with a temporary or project-specific license to the full software - MemoQ does have solutions for that. What is possible depends a bit on their own workflow.

I would also check with Kilgray support and ask if they have any ideas. Perhaps something in your set-up conflicts with what the web version of MemoQ needs
... See more
Hi Soraya,

Provided your client is happy with your work and you are happy with them, I would explore other solutions.

Perhaps they can provide you with a temporary or project-specific license to the full software - MemoQ does have solutions for that. What is possible depends a bit on their own workflow.

I would also check with Kilgray support and ask if they have any ideas. Perhaps something in your set-up conflicts with what the web version of MemoQ needs.

Finally, MemoQ is just a CAT-tool. There should be no reason why you should not be able to work with your own CAT-tool and send back the resulting translation. You just need to agree on the workflow (who prepares the files, what formats to deliver in, ...).
Collapse

Germany
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
perhaps a good tool for small tasks... Jul 11, 2014

Steve, thank you...

I have reported issues, but client seems to be not that flexible, I have MemSource Editor and I am happy with it, using it with other agencies. This one, however, seems to be happy on their side with this SaaS solution and handle me file to work with was not an option, unfortunately. I was precisely puzzled with their feedback "No other translator has complained"...
As more as I use, more I am disappointed. Search through file is very limited, other obvious
... See more
Steve, thank you...

I have reported issues, but client seems to be not that flexible, I have MemSource Editor and I am happy with it, using it with other agencies. This one, however, seems to be happy on their side with this SaaS solution and handle me file to work with was not an option, unfortunately. I was precisely puzzled with their feedback "No other translator has complained"...
As more as I use, more I am disappointed. Search through file is very limited, other obvious and easy features existent in similar Web tools are not available. I sense it would work for a small (1 K) job, but it is definitely not the tool for a medium size project.
I believe developers would of course not recommend its use for large projects and that it is up to the costumer decide for the solution as her/his own risk (ultimately at translator's...).

Because I have tried in 3 different browsers, not sure what kind of issue on my side could cause it to be slow, specially to confirm segments or when typing. I am for instance right now typing in this form in normal, acceptable speed.

I am just puzzled by the idea I could be the only one having such a bad time with it

Cheers!
Collapse

Germany
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So, could I work offline? Jul 11, 2014

Hi Denis,

thank you so much for your opinion on this. I am not sure if I understood well, but you are saying that it is possible to me to work on this project from MemQWeb via Memsource Editor? Or what exactly should I download if I would wish to accomplish this task offline? Since I have found no button to download the file, that is why I am asking...

I have a regular antivirus, but I have it disabled and other possible causes for the slow performance check, so far no
... See more
Hi Denis,

thank you so much for your opinion on this. I am not sure if I understood well, but you are saying that it is possible to me to work on this project from MemQWeb via Memsource Editor? Or what exactly should I download if I would wish to accomplish this task offline? Since I have found no button to download the file, that is why I am asking...

I have a regular antivirus, but I have it disabled and other possible causes for the slow performance check, so far no clue. I have a relative new machine, less then 6 months, Windows 8 native, so it is really a good one in my point of view. The slow performance only affects me to the extent, as you mentioned, that I really have to wait segments to confirm, otherwise my progress is not working in my favor - I came to realize this after reaching third block

Best,

S.
Collapse

Matthias Haase
Matthias Haase  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Use MemoQWeb offline? Jul 14, 2014

I had the same issue with the memsource online editor. I was advised to download and install the program and use the offline editor. For me, that works perfectly. Maybe the same works with MemoQweb? If so, your provider should be able to help you with the "how to"instructions.

all the best,

Matthias

[Edited at 2014-07-14 11:33 GMT]

Germany
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 14, 2014

Thank you, Matthias,

It is good to know there are alternatives, and I will make sure to mention this possibility while providing my final feedback and I really hope to get a more flexible deal regarding tool for the next assignment!

Best,

S.H.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQWeb ... frustrating user experience. Any thoughts?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »