Maria Folque
Maria Folque  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:59
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 3, 2009

Dear colleagues,

I'm translating a 27 page Word document where the table of contents was made automatically.

That is, each title has beem entered automatically in the table of contents as it was written.

When I translate the table of contents looses the page number of each title and "Erro marcador não definido" : ( Error marker non defined ).appears instead of the page number.

Does anyone know what exactly I have to do so that I can keep the
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I'm translating a 27 page Word document where the table of contents was made automatically.

That is, each title has beem entered automatically in the table of contents as it was written.

When I translate the table of contents looses the page number of each title and "Erro marcador não definido" : ( Error marker non defined ).appears instead of the page number.

Does anyone know what exactly I have to do so that I can keep the document in order ?

I'm working on Word 2003 .

Thank you in advance for your help.
Maria
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:59
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Don't touch the TOC Aug 3, 2009

This "problem" (which rather is a feature) frequently reoccurs, your question has been asked and answered before. A quick forum search:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/136889-help:_trados_will_not_work_with_table_of_contents_word_2007.html
<
... See more
This "problem" (which rather is a feature) frequently reoccurs, your question has been asked and answered before. A quick forum search:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/136889-help:_trados_will_not_work_with_table_of_contents_word_2007.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/108091-translating_word_table_of_contents_in_trados.html

Best regards,
Erik
Collapse

Maria Folque
Maria Folque  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Erik Aug 3, 2009

Dear Erik,

This is to thank you for your quick, efficient answer. Have a nice day!

maria

Deolindo
Deolindo  Identity Verified
Angola
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Am I missing something? May 9, 2011

efreitag wrote:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/108091-translating_word_table_of_contents_in_trados.html

Best regards,
Erik

From what I read, to have your TOC in your target language you just right-click the TOC that is still in the source language and choose "update field". Your computer will then perform a miracle and the TOC will appear in your target language, apparently picking headings from the translated document.

I have a 100 plus page translated document and when I try to right-click the TOC still in the source language and press on "update field" I get this message: "To add or remove items in the table of contents, select text in your document, and then do one of the following:
*Apply a heading style from the Styles gallery on the Home tab.
*Change the outline level of the text, using the Add Text menu in the Table of Contents group of the References tab."
When I click on OK I am told "no table of contents entries found". Where is the one-click "miracle automatic" feature I am reading about here? Thanks a million in advance for any help!

Patrice Da Lage
Patrice Da Lage
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
Unresolved ToC Problem Dec 27, 2015

Although Erik says this ToC difficulty has been long debated and explained here, I cannot find any solution to this problem. Just like Deolindo mentioned it a long while ago (2011) I have exactly the same message and I cannot update the ToC fields in the target file. I have to do it manually.

Any explanation?

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:59
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
What explanation? Dec 27, 2015

And what explanation do you need? Previous posts explain the things, IMHO. In a nutshell: DO NOT touch the table of contents. Translate the text, including the headings that the ToC is assembled from. Then in the target document update or recreate the ToC.

[Edited at 2015-12-27 18:02 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Automatic table of contents on Word

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »