Thread poster: Louise Dupont (X)
Louise Dupont (X)
Louise Dupont (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:22
English to French
Jun 10, 2004

Hi everyone,

I'm buying a new computer and was wondering if I would update to Office 2003.
I'm using Trados 6 and Office 2000, and I have no problem at all.
Knowing that Trados is not always friendly with other programs, I want to know if there are some bugs reported between those 2.
To update or not to update, that is the question!
Thanks!

Shang
Shang
China
Local time: 03:22
English to Chinese
a good choice Jun 10, 2004

Hi Louise,

If you're tired of frequent close and restart of Office 2000/XP because of internal errors, Office 2003 is a good choice. It offers higher stability than any previous version. Trados 6 is compatible with it.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:22
English to German
+ ...
Upgrade to 6.5 Jun 10, 2004

Hi Louise,
AFAIK full Office 2003 support was introduced with Trados 6.5 - this is no bug, but Trados 6 was released before Office 2003.

This doesn't necessarily mean T6.0 won't work at all, but certain functions introduced with Office 2003 might not be supported.

HTH, Ralf

[Edited at 2004-06-10 17:29]

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
With all due respect... Jun 10, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Louise,
AFAIK full Office 2003 support was introduced with Trados 6.5 - this is no bug, but Trados 6 was released before Office 2003.

This doesn't necessarily mean T6.0 won't work at all, but certain functions introduced with Office 2003 might not be supported.

HTH, Ralf

I'm wondering, Ralf, do you work for Trados? I have Office 2003 (on XP) and just upgraded to 6.5. I can't manage Tag Editor anymore. Rather than waste time on Trados, I did the usual: I turned to another CAT Tool instead, in this case SDLX.

I have yet to see or hear about any *specific* benefit to the upgrade, not just "It's good for you, your Office 2003 will make use of it...."

Best,
Esther

[Edited at 2004-06-10 18:26]

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
With all due respect... Jun 10, 2004

Esther,
I don't mind criticism, but please refrain from unfounded allegations. Thank you.

I'm wondering, Ralf, do you work for Trados?

I don't, and just in case: all the licenses I use (I have several LSP licenses) are fully paid.

All I am is a volunteer spending a significant amount of time on this forum, trying to help others with problems for which experienced users might know the solution. Which is why I think an attack such as your posting is not really fair.

I have Office 2003 (on XP) and just upgraded to 6.5. I can't manage Tag Editor anymore.

You would need to provide more details to see what the problem could be, including the exact version (Freelance or LSP, as well as the build number). Also, what type of file did you work on when you encountered that problem?

Rather than waste time on Trados, I did the usual: I turned to another CAT Tool instead, in this case SDLX.

Fair enough - but that's your decision. When I have a problem, I turn to Trados Support and get it sorted out.

I have yet to see or hear about any *specific* benefit to the upgrade, not just "It's good for you, your Office 2003 will make use of it...."

Who said that?

From my point of view, the most important change is that T6.5 supports PowerPoint and Excel in TagEditor (and yes, it works - as it happens, I'm working on a PPT file right now).

Don't hesitate to voice criticism regarding bugs or missing functions in Trados - but I would really appreciate if you didn't attack the moderator for something that's really not my fault.

Thanks, and best regards,
Ralf

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Sorry, Ralf Jun 10, 2004

I find you as likable as I find Trados detestable.

The two sets of feelings crossed over in my post.

Best,
Esther

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Thanks, Esther Jun 10, 2004

I appreciate it.

Ralf

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Is there a user-friendly 'Trados for Dummies' or could someone write one? Jun 11, 2004

Hi Ralf

I am always impressed with your way of helping with Trados problems. Now I have Trados 6 and Word 2000 and have yet to get some payoff... In an earlier life, Trados 3 and Word 98 were quite satisfactory, and though I didn't use it much, I liked it.

What daunts me is reading the 600-page manuals that tell me a lot of wonderful things I could do with Trados if I only knew HOW TO START!! My Multiterm only seems to have German and Spanish, exciting languages, but I
... See more
Hi Ralf

I am always impressed with your way of helping with Trados problems. Now I have Trados 6 and Word 2000 and have yet to get some payoff... In an earlier life, Trados 3 and Word 98 were quite satisfactory, and though I didn't use it much, I liked it.

What daunts me is reading the 600-page manuals that tell me a lot of wonderful things I could do with Trados if I only knew HOW TO START!! My Multiterm only seems to have German and Spanish, exciting languages, but I want Danish, Swedish and Norwegian... The Trados helpline doesn't answer, and even identical sentences in the same text have to be translated every time, so it is quicker to do it without Trados!

There was once a brilliant series of yellow books called e.g. "Word Perfect for Dummies", or "Excel for Dummies" etc. They were written by people who were NOT employed by the producers of the software, and they set out, step by step, how to achieve results and avoid problems, and how to solve lots of the accidents that happened anyway.

You could surely earn some honest money if you started with a short guide to starting up, then set your answers to problems out systematically, and sold the book under some suitable title to idiots like me...

It's just a thought. I need to uninstall my Trados and try again from there, I suspect.
Thanks for being there, it helps me keep trying!
Christine
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Various references exist Jun 11, 2004

Hi Christine,
What daunts me is reading the 600-page manuals that tell me a lot of wonderful things I could do with Trados if I only knew HOW TO START!!

You don't have to read everything in there...

My Multiterm only seems to have German and Spanish, exciting languages, but I want Danish, Swedish and Norwegian... The Trados helpline doesn't answer, and even identical sentences in the same text have to be translated every time, so it is quicker to do it without Trados!

Hang on a second: MultiTerm cannot help you translate sentences, because MT is used to manage terminology. The sentence database (="translation memory") is managed in Translators Workbench.

In general, you should consider investing in training for a complex software suite such as Trados. However, there are various references which you can use to start:

The interactive tutorials, which you can download from TranslationZone, give you a good introduction. In fact, we use them as a starter for interns working with Trados tools.

Another good resource is the File Formats Reference Guide, which describes the workflows for various file formats.

Finally, check out the Files section of the TW_users group - you'll find various guides there, too.

It's just a thought. I need to uninstall my Trados and try again from there, I suspect.

Why would you need to un-/reinstall the software?

Best regards, Ralf

xfm2000
xfm2000  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Chinese
+ ...
My opinion and question Jun 12, 2004

I work mostly with Trados, sometimes also with Transit. both of them, also other CATs I think, have their own advantages and disadvantages. In my opinion, it is just a matter of habit or even trend. After working many times with Trados I found it inconvinient to use Transit even though I know that Trados has a lot of problems. Many translation companies from whom I receive projects just required that I should work with Trados. So if you don't, you won't get this job. Very simple.

No
... See more
I work mostly with Trados, sometimes also with Transit. both of them, also other CATs I think, have their own advantages and disadvantages. In my opinion, it is just a matter of habit or even trend. After working many times with Trados I found it inconvinient to use Transit even though I know that Trados has a lot of problems. Many translation companies from whom I receive projects just required that I should work with Trados. So if you don't, you won't get this job. Very simple.

Now my question is. Working in MS Word together with Workbench is very complicated because of all format settings. It is said that with Word 2003 you can save a word document in XML format so that TagEditor can be used to translate the pure text content leaving all formats behind. Is it true? Ralf, Es scheint so aus, dass Du der Einzige sein koenntest, der relevante Erfahrungen hat. von allen die hier gesprochen haben.:-) Koenntest Du mich darueber informieren? Herzlichen Dank im Voraus.

Thanks in advance
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Sorry... Jun 12, 2004

...I work with Office XP, and have no intention of upgrading to Office 2003.

But I know that several members of TW_users are working with Office 2003 - why don't you post your question there?

Best regards, Ralf

Johnny Speiermann
Johnny Speiermann
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Office 2003 and XML Jul 28, 2004

Regarding the question about using Office 2003 when translating XML files:

Whenever you want to find out if Word (or any other text editor) can safely be used to edit/translate any document, you can do a very simple test to check, if the editor is safe to use by using these steps.

1. Make a copy of the source doucment.
2. Open the copy in Word.
3. Change a single word, and save the file.
4. Use the compare funtion (Tools > Compare and Merge Documents i
... See more
Regarding the question about using Office 2003 when translating XML files:

Whenever you want to find out if Word (or any other text editor) can safely be used to edit/translate any document, you can do a very simple test to check, if the editor is safe to use by using these steps.

1. Make a copy of the source doucment.
2. Open the copy in Word.
3. Change a single word, and save the file.
4. Use the compare funtion (Tools > Compare and Merge Documents in Word 2002) to compare the original file and the changed copy.

If the compare function only finds a single difference (the word you changed), you should be fairly safe in using the editor.

If the file contains other changes, you should have your customer confirm if this is acceptable.

A good example of this is the way Word (I still use version 2000) saves HTML files. If you take an HTML file that was not created in Word, and you open and save it using Word, then the entire file structure is changed, and often the layout of for example tables will also be changed.

Cheers,
Johnny
Collapse

Sonia Maldonado
Sonia Maldonado  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
Does freelance 6.5 have MS word built in? I can also use some help not in tutorils Sep 26, 2004

We may be dummies,if that is what we can call someone new to a product never used or even known previously. Trados does not have good training and the 600 page manuals are driving me crazy and not answering what I need.
The tutorial open workbench with MS word. That is great, except I don't have MS word and my offie 2000 has wordperfect 9 which does not look like anything for what I see in the tutorial.
The MS word in the tutorial even has a button that says "trados" and unless tha
... See more
We may be dummies,if that is what we can call someone new to a product never used or even known previously. Trados does not have good training and the 600 page manuals are driving me crazy and not answering what I need.
The tutorial open workbench with MS word. That is great, except I don't have MS word and my offie 2000 has wordperfect 9 which does not look like anything for what I see in the tutorial.
The MS word in the tutorial even has a button that says "trados" and unless that is included in the software that I purchased (I have not located it), then I don't know how that program can incorporate trados into it.
How can I interlink the workbench and the wordperfect to make them work together?
When I open my workbench, it does not have microsoft word in it, like the tutorial.
Any help or insight will be appreciated.

Christine Andersen wrote:

Hi Ralf

What daunts me is reading the 600-page manuals that tell me a lot of wonderful things I could do with Trados if I only knew HOW TO START!! My Multiterm only seems to have German and Spanish, exciting languages, but I want Danish, Swedish and Norwegian... The Trados helpline doesn't answer, and even identical sentences in the same text have to be translated every time, so it is quicker to do it without Trados!

There was once a brilliant series of yellow books called e.g. "Word Perfect for Dummies", or "Excel for Dummies" etc. They were written by people who were NOT employed by the producers of the software, and they set out, step by step, how to achieve results and avoid problems, and how to solve lots of the accidents that happened anyway.

You could surely earn some honest money if you started with a short guide to starting up, then set your answers to problems out systematically, and sold the book under some suitable title to idiots like me...

Thanks for being there, it helps me keep trying!
Christine
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Trados does *not* support Wordperfect Sep 26, 2004

...nor does it say so...

Trados does not have good training

...how can you tell? Have you ever attended a training session?

The tutorial open workbench with MS word.

It doesn't, actually - the Tutorial quite clearly refers to Workbench and Microsoft Word as two separate applications.

That is great, except I don't have MS word and my offie 2000 has wordperfect 9 which does not look like anything for what I see in the tutorial.

How can you have Office 2000 with WordPerfect?
Office 2000 is a Microsoft package, whereas WordPerfect is sold by Corel as WordPerfect Office - which one is yours?

The MS word in the tutorial even has a button that says "trados" and unless that is included in the software that I purchased (I have not located it), then I don't know how that program can incorporate trados into it.
How can I interlink the workbench and the wordperfect to make them work together?

They don't.
That's because Workbench integration into MS Word is implemented using Word macros - WordPerfect does not support that. Theoretically, there's a chance that someone may have written an interface, but I'm not aware of any.

When I open my workbench, it does not have microsoft word in it, like the tutorial.

Look again at the Tutorial: there are two windows, simply because Workbench and MS Word are two separate applications.

Best regards,
Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Office 2003 and Trados 6

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »