Poll: Do you mind your full name being displayed on the client's CAT tool/TM?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 20

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you mind your full name being displayed on the client's CAT tool/TM?".

View the poll results »

Alex Lichanow
Alex Lichanow
Germany
Local time: 15:24
Member (2020)
English to German
+ ...
Depends Mar 20

It depends on the nature of the tool and/or the location of the TM. I'm totally fine as long as things remain local, but once a tool is run online or accesses an online TM, I insist of having my name at least partially anonymized (especially since my name as a German translator is not exactly "Michael Müller").
In most cases, my local tools use my Windows shorthand, which is anonymous enough anyway.

Mostafa Goubail
Christine Andersen
expressisverbis
Gibril Koroma

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:24
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Mar 20

I'm one of those dinosaurs (yes, there are still some of us left) who don't use CAT tools...

Jennifer Levey
Carmen Valentin-Rodriguez
svetlana cosquéric

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Yes Mar 20

I would be fuming.

Baran Keki

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
I shortened it Mar 20

For reasons of understanding, my first name "Angioletta" is constantly distorted even by Italians, so years ago I decided to shorten it, the surname is the real one, and I don't mind it being displayed.

[Edited at 2024-03-20 09:17 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other - N/A Mar 20

I only work with direct clients, not agencies, and I don't think any of them has a proprietary CAT tool or TMs. One of them does sometimes use automatic translation, with the inevitable pitfalls when the person using the tools is not an experienced translator. For example, "culo" appearing as a Spanish translation of "butt", which in the context is actually a type of barrel rather than the gluteus maximus.

Ana Vozone
Ana Vozone  Identity Verified
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, I would mind Mar 20

and I feel that this (the use of TM's created by me) should be discussed between the client and myself 'before the fact'.

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales

Liena Vijupe
Liena Vijupe  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 16:24
Member (2014)
French to Latvian
+ ...
Yes Mar 20

I do mind my full name being displayed or disclosed anywhere without a legal or otherwise justified reason. This is the only public site where I use it (as well as a photo of my face) by my own choice because I find it important to appear as a real person for professional purposes.
In case of TMs or documents I'm ok with being identified by those who know who I am, for anybody else I'd rather be just Translator5729.

Baran Keki
Christopher Schröder
Rachel Waddington
expressisverbis

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I don't know Mar 20

Over the years, I have been sent TMs by clients, where I could see who had contributed the individual segments, including my own, or at least their initials. Three letters were often enough. Then I knew that the terminology was reliable - or in rare cases, that I preferred to double check before accepting anything.

I am not sure I am entirely happy with people seeing my contributions in the same way, but on the other hand, I have been very grateful for other people's. I often check
... See more
Over the years, I have been sent TMs by clients, where I could see who had contributed the individual segments, including my own, or at least their initials. Three letters were often enough. Then I knew that the terminology was reliable - or in rare cases, that I preferred to double check before accepting anything.

I am not sure I am entirely happy with people seeing my contributions in the same way, but on the other hand, I have been very grateful for other people's. I often check anyway, as contexts vary, clients update their preferences etc. etc. I like to see that the entry was made by a real human, not an algorithm.
There is never time to check EVERYTHING, so it is helpful to know where to start and what to choose first.

So I suppose I should go along with contributing in the same way, if I still can. Where everything is mixed up, realigned and fed into the big stewpot for MT and AI, I definitely want to be anonymous!

I still work offline as far as possible, without MT links, and as recently as last week I have promised a good client I will continue to do so.
Collapse

Rachel Waddington
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Names... Mar 20

First: I like to use my own CAT Tools.
Second: If using the client's TM and contributing to it, the name that will appear on it will be the name of my laptop or desktop and not my real and full name.
Third: I do mind if I create myself a glossary, dictionary or TB, and after that I see a different name on it, for example, the name of a fellow translator. (It never happened so far!)
But in general, I don't mind.
On the other hand, Portuguese people have very long full nam
... See more
First: I like to use my own CAT Tools.
Second: If using the client's TM and contributing to it, the name that will appear on it will be the name of my laptop or desktop and not my real and full name.
Third: I do mind if I create myself a glossary, dictionary or TB, and after that I see a different name on it, for example, the name of a fellow translator. (It never happened so far!)
But in general, I don't mind.
On the other hand, Portuguese people have very long full names, which would scare any client away from using it on their CAT Tool or TM.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder

Aline Brito
Aline Brito  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:24
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Focusing specifically on the name issue Mar 26

Would I mind my full name being displayed anywhere? Yes. I like having as much privacy as I can.

Would I mind my professional name (first and last) being displayed? No. I want to be credited and recognized for my work.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you mind your full name being displayed on the client's CAT tool/TM?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »