Thread poster: swisstell
swisstell
swisstell
Italy
Local time: 20:44
German to English
+ ...
Mar 28, 2014

Be warned. It could happen to you. The second time in the last few months a shady individual who calls himself Carlos Betty, with an email address [email protected] has usurped
my full CV, EVERYTHING including my phone number and address, only replacing my name with his as "Carlos betty" (no cap B for betty!).
When soliciting business from agency A, the latter was kind enough to warn me, as they obviously discovered awk
... See more
Be warned. It could happen to you. The second time in the last few months a shady individual who calls himself Carlos Betty, with an email address [email protected] has usurped
my full CV, EVERYTHING including my phone number and address, only replacing my name with his as "Carlos betty" (no cap B for betty!).
When soliciting business from agency A, the latter was kind enough to warn me, as they obviously discovered awkward terminology in Betty's "service offer" (who also claims to be of native German tongue) and checked out my CV by looking me up in Proz. Yesterday I got a call from an agency B who wanted to know when I would finally deliver a translation (promised by "me" i.e. Betty "within an hour").
The motivations for this scam are puzzling. What can Betty achieve by indicating my address and phone number aside from trying to damage my reputation by delivering a lousy job or more likely not delivering at all?
Any colleagues out there with similar experience and/or advice how to track and silence the likes of Betty?
www.proz.com/profiles/2323 - Swisstell
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Public display of CV Mar 29, 2014

Sorry to read about your annoying experience.

Perhaps you might consider setting your business brochure (CV) to be only visible to outsourcers. This is what I have done, and it works well. Also, you might consider leaving your contact details out to be replaced by somthing like, the full contact details will be available upon first email / Skype contact. To protect your CV, you can also require a password in order to copy, edit or print it.

Stay safe!

By th
... See more
Sorry to read about your annoying experience.

Perhaps you might consider setting your business brochure (CV) to be only visible to outsourcers. This is what I have done, and it works well. Also, you might consider leaving your contact details out to be replaced by somthing like, the full contact details will be available upon first email / Skype contact. To protect your CV, you can also require a password in order to copy, edit or print it.

Stay safe!

By the way, the link you have provided has apparently been removed by Proz.com site staff.
Collapse

Eleonora Di Nardo
Eleonora Di Nardo
Germany
German to Italian
+ ...
It also happened to us ! carlos Betty is a false translator! May 19, 2014

We received a translation from this person Carlos betty which was awful! This is a false traslator just seeking money -
BEWARE! he wants to be payed ahead before completion of work!

[Edited at 2014-05-19 08:13 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-05-19 08:13 GMT]

João Roque Dias
João Roque Dias
Portugal
Local time: 19:44
English to Portuguese
"Carlos Betty" / [email protected] Jul 21, 2014

"Carlos Betty" is just another fake ID created by scammers.

With this fake ID, scammers circulate a CV stolen from a US translator.

The same CV has also been scammed as: David Dallas / daviddallas908 @ gmail.com

Source: http://www.translator-scammers.com

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

a crook is usurping my full (Proz) CV to solicit clients

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »