chat

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 23:54
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Chat option vs. email May 16, 2018

It looks like a scam. You should send a support ticket.

Actually I never understood this chat option. You can see such chat boxes when you log on a company's website and customer service chat bots (or humans) answer your questions concerning a product or a service.
But we are individual translators, we are not proz's employers.

I think a direct email is preferred (translators should be able to set their preference: to direct email address or via proz's message s
... See more
It looks like a scam. You should send a support ticket.

Actually I never understood this chat option. You can see such chat boxes when you log on a company's website and customer service chat bots (or humans) answer your questions concerning a product or a service.
But we are individual translators, we are not proz's employers.

I think a direct email is preferred (translators should be able to set their preference: to direct email address or via proz's message system). It is a business only between the translator and the client. Email conversations can be searched back later, and they have more legal backup.

[Edited at 2018-05-16 07:04 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:54
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Nor I May 16, 2018

Katalin Szilárd wrote:

Actually I never understood this chat option.

Nor I, and nobody has ever tried to chat with me.

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Ditto May 16, 2018

Tom in London wrote:

Katalin Szilárd wrote:

Actually I never understood this chat option.

Nor I, and nobody has ever tried to chat with me.

But we are not customer service people either.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 00:54
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Instant communication May 16, 2018

I have had several customers ask for my Skype name in the first email, because they wanted to discuss and negotiate in a more 'direct'/'instant' manner. That's why the chat feature could be useful to some.

I don't understand why you took it wrong and felt insulted by it. No one told you that you are not a human being and an independent professional.

That being said, I won't probably use ProZ.com's chat: I don't like this avalanche of features that no one seems to have a
... See more
I have had several customers ask for my Skype name in the first email, because they wanted to discuss and negotiate in a more 'direct'/'instant' manner. That's why the chat feature could be useful to some.

I don't understand why you took it wrong and felt insulted by it. No one told you that you are not a human being and an independent professional.

That being said, I won't probably use ProZ.com's chat: I don't like this avalanche of features that no one seems to have asked for and which I have no time to study and set up.

You had one job, ProZ: make a modern website, which renders nicely on screens of any size. Instead, you focused your efforts on trying to get more money and more data out of us, so most parts of the site still look like we're in 1999, and the mobile app is mostly useless. Your agenda doesn't seem to be quite in line with the interests of translators.
Collapse

Lian Pang
Lian Pang  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2018)
English to Chinese
+ ...
what's up with that long email name May 16, 2018

Looks scammy

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Well said May 16, 2018

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

.... most parts of the site still look like we're in 1999....

I know - it looks like something antique.

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Chat after the client has reached you May 16, 2018

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

I don't know whether this last sentence of yours was addressed to me (I assume yes, since I wrote about chat box bots and independent translators).

I didn't feel insulted. I just said that these conversations should be a business only between you and your client and normally it is done via email. But the situation you wrote with Skype was different: the client has already reached you by email before. So you 2 "knew each other". Both of you knew the other's real contact details.
But here as I see chats' default message is: Hello, are you available for a translation job?
This cannot be traced back. I have missing job emails either way sent via proz, so this chat is the least traceable: who and why and when contacted me.
I prefer clients to reach me directly by my email address.

[Edited at 2018-05-16 08:15 GMT]

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
The point of chat May 16, 2018

At the agency I used to work for, we used Skype for instant messaging with the PMs in a different location.
PMs would ping me to see if I'm free (they never looked at the schedule I filled in all the time).
I wouldn't answer until they had told me what for, when for, who for, how many words, what software... which information I had to ask for, question by question, like pulling worms from their nose (as the French so eloquently put it).
Then once I had agreed to do it, they
... See more
At the agency I used to work for, we used Skype for instant messaging with the PMs in a different location.
PMs would ping me to see if I'm free (they never looked at the schedule I filled in all the time).
I wouldn't answer until they had told me what for, when for, who for, how many words, what software... which information I had to ask for, question by question, like pulling worms from their nose (as the French so eloquently put it).
Then once I had agreed to do it, they would send me an official email recapping all that information along with the file, and I would have to officially confirm it. So what was the point of giving me the info bit by bit? All that happened was that they wasted ten minutes of my time. So I just stopped logging into Skype, and all went well.

It was useful when I just had a quick question during the translation, but that was about it.
Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
I get your point May 16, 2018

Now I fully understand your point, Katalin. Thanks for elaborating.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Real-time communications settings page May 16, 2018

I stumbled upon a Proz page with real-time communications settings a few days ago:

https://www.proz.com/rtc/settings

I disabled all the 'instant' stuff, as it's impossible to focus on translating and reviewing if I'm interrupted all the time by people who think I'm running a 24/7 call centre.

Could anyone imagine such an 'instant' service for solicitors, accountant
... See more
I stumbled upon a Proz page with real-time communications settings a few days ago:

I disabled all the 'instant' stuff, as it's impossible to focus on translating and reviewing if I'm interrupted all the time by people who think I'm running a 24/7 call centre.

Could anyone imagine such an 'instant' service for solicitors, accountants and notaries?

Email gets here almost instantly anyway, but if I don't answer instantly, it's because I'm trying to work. Human translation is not an 'instant' service like Google Translate, and it's not particularly helpful that Proz are enforcing the perception that it is by enabling such gadgets.

I don't know how to use navigation to reach that settings page. I cannot find any link to it in my profile, particularly not under Contact, where it would seem to belong. The site's features are sprawling in several directions, and nobody seems to understand the need for an overall coherent navigation structure. In other words, the site navigation is becoming not just a mess, but a mystery.
Collapse

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Thank you, Thomas May 16, 2018

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

This is very valuable information. Thanks a lot!

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
"Great, let's run with it!" May 16, 2018

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Email gets here almost instantly anyway, but if I don't answer instantly, it's because I'm trying to work. Human translation is not an 'instant' service like Google Translate, and it's not particularly helpful that Proz are enforcing the perception that it is by enabling such gadgets.

Very well said indeed. My guess is that such a thought never occurred to a single person in the various formal and informal meetings where this and similar ideas were hatched. Quite telling.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
TM-Town May 16, 2018

I think they got the people who made TM-Town involved and they are introducing all those modern yet useless features, instead of just making a usable, responsive site.

This happens when devs judge based on the 'coolness factor' instead of day-to-day, real-word usefulness.

[Edited at 2018-05-16 13:45 GMT]

Vi Pukite
Vi Pukite  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:54
Latvian to English
+ ...
Real-time communications settings page May 16, 2018

Actually the page is easily accessible from the drop-down menu that appears when you hover over your name and picture in the upper right of every screen. It also has explanations of many of the issues brought up in this discussion.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ chat scam?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »