Abby FineReader + Word+ SDL Studio 2009
Thread poster: Marisol Padilla
Marisol Padilla
Marisol Padilla  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:10
English to Spanish
Dec 9, 2010

Hi everyone,

I have a JPG file to translate, but I can´t modify it because it´s an image. I´ve tried using Abby FineReader, but I get a Word document with the image paste on it, so I can´t modify it as well.
I also tried to open the word file with SDL Studio 2009, but it only opens to tags and says there´s no sentences to translate.

Can you help me to modify the word document somehow? the image is a diploma.

Thanks!!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:10
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
How about a novel method called... Dec 9, 2010

...typing the text into a Word document and then translating it?

If it is a translation of a diploma, the client cannot reasonably expect that you mimmick the whole graphical design of the document.

Marisol Padilla
Marisol Padilla  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:10
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
That´s a great idea! Dec 9, 2010

Thank you, I´ll talk to the client!!

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
But still... Dec 9, 2010

You could open the image in FineReader, and manually draw text frames around translatable text. Then have Fine Reader recognize the text. Depending on the image quality, it could well work.

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Options in FineReader Dec 10, 2010

When you scan a file in FineReader, you can change the scanning options and indicate what to scan and how to scan the different segments of the file, i.e. whether to scan a segment as a picture or as text (or a table). This is the whole idea of paying for FineReader instead of using e.g. the much cheaper PDF Converter, which just scans without asking any questions; In FineReader you can adapt and tweek the scanning as you see fit. Then you can save the file in many different formats, e.g. Word.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Abby FineReader + Word+ SDL Studio 2009

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »