Автор темы: David Wright
David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Австрия
Local time: 04:33
немецкий => английский
+ ...
Sep 6, 2011

I started using Trados way back in the 1990s, and found it not very usfeul for the way I work, but at least it was reasonably self-explanatory and I could use it for the odd job where it made sense without spending two days reading manuals and contact helpdesks.

I recently acquired Trados 2009, which itself requried the installation of Trados 2007. Having installed 2007, I had a job for which trados was suitable, so I used 2007; it wasn't much different to the earlier version and I
... See more
I started using Trados way back in the 1990s, and found it not very usfeul for the way I work, but at least it was reasonably self-explanatory and I could use it for the odd job where it made sense without spending two days reading manuals and contact helpdesks.

I recently acquired Trados 2009, which itself requried the installation of Trados 2007. Having installed 2007, I had a job for which trados was suitable, so I used 2007; it wasn't much different to the earlier version and I could get down to work immediately.

I then installed 2009 and found to my horror that it was no longer self-evident and bore almost no resemblance to 2007 or the earlier version.

Could anyone tell my why I should bother with 2009? What can it do that 2007 can't? Will work produced using 2007 be compatible with 2009 for others in the translation chain? Etc.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions

(And why in the name of [enter preferred deity] does there now have to be, apparently, a 2011 or 2012 version? And do we need it?
Collapse

Hazel Underwood
Hazel Underwood  Identity Verified
Великобритания
Local time: 03:33
Член ProZ.com c 2005
немецкий => английский
+ ...
2009 not an improvement Sep 6, 2011

I am completely with you David, 2009 is by no means an improvement on 2007. It makes what used to be a very easy system extremely overcomplicated.

You can no longer work directly with Word so you don't get a WYSIWYG real-time view as you are working, simple tasks likes opening a TM to analyse a file are long-winded.

The only slight benefit I have found is the ability to open PDF documents, but the number of documents you can actually open is few and far between. Most cr
... See more
I am completely with you David, 2009 is by no means an improvement on 2007. It makes what used to be a very easy system extremely overcomplicated.

You can no longer work directly with Word so you don't get a WYSIWYG real-time view as you are working, simple tasks likes opening a TM to analyse a file are long-winded.

The only slight benefit I have found is the ability to open PDF documents, but the number of documents you can actually open is few and far between. Most create errors when attempting to open.

The real shame too is that 2007 and 2009 are only "compatible" when working with TTX files. But even then there are differences in segmentation and tags so they are not in my understanding of the word "truly" compatible.

I'm not sure why Trados had to go and ruin a very good tool just to follow the likes of Memoq, Across, etc. Unfortunately all tools seem to be going that way, so we will all be translating Word documents in the relative "dark" from now on. Oh well, I'm sure there are users out there who prefer it, but I am certainly not one of them!
Collapse

Anja Weggel
Anja Weggel  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:33
Член ProZ.com c 2007
английский => немецкий
Personal Preference Sep 6, 2011

@David

I would say, a lot of it comes down to personal preference.
I am a big fan of 2009 because I like the interface. The integration in Word never really worked well for me but I certainly agree that this may be a problem when you have customers who want a bilingual Word file. On the other hand, you can translate in 2009, export your TM to 2007 and then simply click "translate to fuzzy" in Word.

I adore AutoSuggest in 2009 (which is new compared to 2007) and I
... See more
@David

I would say, a lot of it comes down to personal preference.
I am a big fan of 2009 because I like the interface. The integration in Word never really worked well for me but I certainly agree that this may be a problem when you have customers who want a bilingual Word file. On the other hand, you can translate in 2009, export your TM to 2007 and then simply click "translate to fuzzy" in Word.

I adore AutoSuggest in 2009 (which is new compared to 2007) and I like all the personalization options 2009 offers (mainly shortcuts). I also have the feeling that 2009 is more stable, less "hanging up" at least on my machine. What I miss in 2009 is the auto correction and spell checker options from Word so I hope this will be integrated in some future version.

As for compatibility, bilingual Words cannot be used in 2009, however, ttx files and itd files can simply be openend in 2009. You work with them and then click "save target" and you get your ttx/itd file back. You can also export your TM into tmx and can import it and vice versa. There is also a preview function in 2009 where you can see the final file while you are translating.

So I would say, give it a try... I know it looks different and your work flow will need some changing but there are some advantages to 2009 over 2007. And if you are not completely computer ignorant (which I assume you are not), I am sure, you will find your way around within a day or two...

Update: Just read in another forum that there is an app to convert Trados 2009 files into Word bilingual files:
http://www.sdl.com/de/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=2
Obviously, I haven't tried it yet but I certainly will...

[Edited at 2011-09-06 09:45 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-09-06 11:28 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Модератор(ы) этого форума
Natalie[Call to this topic]
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2007 and 2009

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »