Thread poster: Virginia Castellano
Sone-Ngole Alvin Ngole
Sone-Ngole Alvin Ngole  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:59
English to French
+ ...
Outsourcing the type and formatting work Sep 7, 2013

Matthias Brombach wrote:

..why not sourcing out the type and formatting work via proz, worldwide? I guess you will be surprised how cheap it can be when asking and chosing for the "best price" offer...I´ve heard (read) via proz forum elsewhere that some colleagues in other parts of the world beyond Europe are specialized in such work, but I don´t know who and where did I read it. At least you are allowed to offer jobs via proz.

I did that once, and it worked fairly well.
I used a free OCR tool to convert a part of the text to Word, and gave the second part to someone who does secretariat work. So while I was busy with other things, part of my work was progressing...

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 21:59
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Dear Virginia Sep 8, 2013

Try and see if you can find the file online. If it is a legal text-or some others as well- they might be online. I had just such a text; it was badly scanned, and with missing pages and I found it online. Unfortunately when I pointed this out to the outsourcer, he did not answer so I assume he gave it to someone else but it was a mess- pg78 does not follow after page 77, etc, but text with the relevant articles were online. Pity I did not find out sooner. Just a suggestion in case it helps you t... See more
Try and see if you can find the file online. If it is a legal text-or some others as well- they might be online. I had just such a text; it was badly scanned, and with missing pages and I found it online. Unfortunately when I pointed this out to the outsourcer, he did not answer so I assume he gave it to someone else but it was a mess- pg78 does not follow after page 77, etc, but text with the relevant articles were online. Pity I did not find out sooner. Just a suggestion in case it helps you though your case is not s dire as mine was. GLCollapse

Virginia Castellano
Virginia Castellano  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CONCLUSION for others with the same problem. Sep 9, 2013

Thanks everyone, you have all been of great helpful!

Just a brief compilation so when anyone (like me these days) is searching with similar question, can have the compilation of answers (when I scanned ProZ forums I wish I have this final one to read straight away, specially since I'm normally a bit stressed!):

Bare in mind I just put together the info that colleagues kindly suggested me.

Recommended software:

- Pdf Export Adobe
- Fluency
... See more
Thanks everyone, you have all been of great helpful!

Just a brief compilation so when anyone (like me these days) is searching with similar question, can have the compilation of answers (when I scanned ProZ forums I wish I have this final one to read straight away, specially since I'm normally a bit stressed!):

Bare in mind I just put together the info that colleagues kindly suggested me.

Recommended software:

- Pdf Export Adobe
- Fluency (found a free 15-day trial on the official website)
- ABBY FineReader 11 (www.abbyonline.com with first 20 pages/ month free) combined with Codezapper to clean.
- WordFast Anywhere
- OneNote

As for my particular case, finally a colleague working with the same client explained me that the client did not expect me to do this but to simply type a document in Word...

Hope that might help others in the future!
Thanks again!

Virginia
Collapse

gkita_fluency
gkita_fluency
United States
Local time: 12:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
Fluency Support Sep 16, 2013

Hi Virginia,

My name is Greg with Fluency's Technical Support team.

I see that you had some general questions about pdf files that weren't directly related to Fluency, but since it came up in conversation, I wanted to address the installation issue that you experienced with Fluency.

Based on what you said ("A file with an endind '.exe.part' is the one offered"), I can tell that the installation file didn't download properly, which is evident by the file sti
... See more
Hi Virginia,

My name is Greg with Fluency's Technical Support team.

I see that you had some general questions about pdf files that weren't directly related to Fluency, but since it came up in conversation, I wanted to address the installation issue that you experienced with Fluency.

Based on what you said ("A file with an endind '.exe.part' is the one offered"), I can tell that the installation file didn't download properly, which is evident by the file still having the .part suffix.

Please try to download it again from our website, listed under the Trial link.

Once downloaded completely (it should be around 217 MB when fully downloaded), you should have a Fluency.exe file, which Windows 8 will run.

Please let us know if you have any other questions about the Fluency software.
Collapse

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
DéjàVu X2 Sep 16, 2013

Hi,

I've tried just about every CAT tool on the market and DéjàVu X2 does the best job, even better than ABBY FineReader 11 - I know it can be fine tuned but without any special settings, I managed to convert a 50,000 word pdf (source file FrameMaker 9.0) into a workable file, almost as good as when my customer sent me the fm file (had to convert to mif) when most other CAT tools failed miserably, crash, etc. Don't know about a dead pdf but would give it a go.

Cheers
... See more
Hi,

I've tried just about every CAT tool on the market and DéjàVu X2 does the best job, even better than ABBY FineReader 11 - I know it can be fine tuned but without any special settings, I managed to convert a 50,000 word pdf (source file FrameMaker 9.0) into a workable file, almost as good as when my customer sent me the fm file (had to convert to mif) when most other CAT tools failed miserably, crash, etc. Don't know about a dead pdf but would give it a go.

Cheers,

Bernard
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dead pdf

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »