Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Norton AntiVirus subscription ends - what other products are recommendable?
Thread poster: Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:46
English to German
+ ...
Jun 16, 2005

My subscription to the Norton AntiVirus update will expire in a month. I just wanted to update but got a notice that my specific version (AntiVirus 2003) is no longer supported, which means that I can extend my subscription but won't receive any support in case the software itself gets damaged or does not work.

They do offer a "special price" for upgrading to a more recent version (along with some other software that I don't need), but before I make a decision I wanted to know what
... See more
My subscription to the Norton AntiVirus update will expire in a month. I just wanted to update but got a notice that my specific version (AntiVirus 2003) is no longer supported, which means that I can extend my subscription but won't receive any support in case the software itself gets damaged or does not work.

They do offer a "special price" for upgrading to a more recent version (along with some other software that I don't need), but before I make a decision I wanted to know what other choices I have.

I've heard a lot about McAfee and AVG AntiVirus. The latter one offers a subscription period of two instead of only one year, as McAfee and Symantec do.

I am not dissatisfied with Symantec just don't feel like upgrading to a fancy bundle that I really don't need.

Any comments appreciated.

TIA.

Sonja
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
I am very happy with Jun 16, 2005

Panda Platinum Internet Security

Till now I had the free versions of Antivir + ZoneAlarm.

But this pack is really good and not "heavy" at all.

Here a test:
http://www.chip.de/artikel/c1_artikelunterseite_15037368.html

Rgds

Can Altinbay
Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:46
Japanese to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Experience with McAfee Jun 16, 2005

I got somewhat frustrated with Norton a few years back and went to McAfee. Their support is wretched. It's been outsourced to India. Initially, they tried giving these people American sounding names, but the way they wrote didn't fool me. And they only know how to give support that is out of some book (possibly online) that they're given. Give me the book, and I'll figure it out myself. Things took several times before it got escalated. Each call, they'd ask for a case number, but their c... See more
I got somewhat frustrated with Norton a few years back and went to McAfee. Their support is wretched. It's been outsourced to India. Initially, they tried giving these people American sounding names, but the way they wrote didn't fool me. And they only know how to give support that is out of some book (possibly online) that they're given. Give me the book, and I'll figure it out myself. Things took several times before it got escalated. Each call, they'd ask for a case number, but their computer was never able to retrieve it, so that was worthless. When I finally got to e-mail a software engineer in the US, she resolved it within minutes. It was good that I had McAfee, because I was writing software for a startup, and found that with one of their releases, any program written in Visual Basic would crash randomly. It turned out that their e-mail scanner was incompatible with VB, so we were able to put out a bulletin for potential clients. I still have McAfee, but when I switch to my next computer, I'll probably go back to Norton.Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
AVG Free Edition Jun 16, 2005

You can have AVG for free:
http://www.grisoft.com/doc/40/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

Can Altinbay
Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Clarification Jun 16, 2005

I would like to point out that my comment about McAfee service is not meant to denigrate the people of India as a whole. There are many competent people from India, I have met many of them, and many of them speak and write impeccable English. However, these people are not the ones who answer the phones or the one-to-one chat sessions for support.

Michael Hesselnberg (X)
Michael Hesselnberg (X)  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
AVG for free or ANTVIR for free Jun 16, 2005

are fine, I used both of them, they are fine,
for AVG; see above, for ANTIVIR it's here:
www.free-av.com/

regards

Michael

Natalia Elo
Natalia Elo  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
AntiVIr Jun 16, 2005

Michael Hesselnberg wrote:

are fine, I used both of them, they are fine,
for AVG; see above, for ANTIVIR it's here:
www.free-av.com/

regards

Michael

Yes, I'm also satisfied with AntiVIR.

Natalia

davidgreen
davidgreen
German to English
I'm a big fan of free Jun 16, 2005

I've heard good things about ANTVIR. I was using AVG and was very happy with it but the updates began to take longer. I've now been using Avast and it updates constantly (not sure how many times per day!) without me really noticing it, I've read it catches pretty much what all the other ones catch. Basically I'd suggest using this or one of the other freebies mentioned and whenever you're wondering if it's missing anything, just run the online free scan from Panda to double check everything's st... See more
I've heard good things about ANTVIR. I was using AVG and was very happy with it but the updates began to take longer. I've now been using Avast and it updates constantly (not sure how many times per day!) without me really noticing it, I've read it catches pretty much what all the other ones catch. Basically I'd suggest using this or one of the other freebies mentioned and whenever you're wondering if it's missing anything, just run the online free scan from Panda to double check everything's still clean.Collapse

paolamonaco
paolamonaco  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
AVG Jun 16, 2005

I had some problems with Norton (although the antivirus definition was updated I got two viruses ). I tried to delete the program but Symantec Products are not completely removed even if the Windows Add/Remove feature is used.
The use of a removal utility was necessary
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606

I've been
... See more
I had some problems with Norton (although the antivirus definition was updated I got two viruses ). I tried to delete the program but Symantec Products are not completely removed even if the Windows Add/Remove feature is used.
The use of a removal utility was necessary
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606

I've been using AVG for more than a year and I think it's great.
Collapse

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:46
German to English
+ ...
ClamAV/ClamWin Jun 16, 2005

I have ClamAV installed on Linux. The ClamAV virus database can be updated automatically online by Freshclam. ClamTk is a GUI for Linux, the Debian test version having just been released. Other GUI's exist for the KDE desktop.

Check out ClamAV for Windows and ClamWin.

... See more
I have ClamAV installed on Linux. The ClamAV virus database can be updated automatically online by Freshclam. ClamTk is a GUI for Linux, the Debian test version having just been released. Other GUI's exist for the KDE desktop.

Check out ClamAV for Windows and ClamWin.

http://www.sosdg.org/clamav-win32/
http://www.clamwin.com/
http://www.clamav.net/

A comparison ClamAV seem to be proud of:

http://www.pcwelt.de/news/sicherheit/111012/index2.html

A comparison of a number of AV's (on Linux only - though most will have Microsoft counterparts):

http://viruspool.vanderkooij.org/antivirus.cms

[Edited at 2005-06-18 10:42]
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 01:46
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Not having anything against *FREE* Antiviruses- Jun 16, 2005

I just haven't used them, so cannot evaluate, but I remember my granny telling me that not even cheese in a mousetrap is *FREE*- somebody *HAS* paid for that cheese...

Good link to compare various Antivirus products in many aspects:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Uldis

Luciie
Luciie
Czech Republic
Czech to English
+ ...
NOD32 Jun 17, 2005

I recommend NOD32, I have been using quite long, and it is reliable and useful

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

They do offer a "special price" for upgrading to a more recent version (along with some other software that I don't need), but before I make a decision I wanted to know what other choices I have.

I've heard a lot about McAfee and AVG AntiVirus. The latter one offers a subscription period of two instead of only one year, as McAfee and Symantec do.

I am not dissatisfied with Symantec just don't feel like upgrading to a fancy bundle that I really don't need.

Any comments appreciated.

TIA.

Sonja

Natasha Stoyanova
Natasha Stoyanova  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:46
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Also happy with Panda Jun 17, 2005

I am using Panda Titanium 2005 at home and Panda Platinum at the office and they really do great job, especially against spywares.
Take a look at their home page www.pandasoftware.com - as far as I know now they are announcing some promo packages for Panda Platinum.

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. Jun 17, 2005

Thank you all very much for your comments.

I know that there are various free anti-virus packages out there. I used to have the AV Personal Ed. on my last PC, but it caused quite some trouble and got corrupted at one stage which made it useless for me. Unfortunately, none of the free versions offer support in such cases and that is why I am a bit reluctant to extend my current subscription with Symantec. If they do not support the software version I have then there is very little us
... See more
Thank you all very much for your comments.

I know that there are various free anti-virus packages out there. I used to have the AV Personal Ed. on my last PC, but it caused quite some trouble and got corrupted at one stage which made it useless for me. Unfortunately, none of the free versions offer support in such cases and that is why I am a bit reluctant to extend my current subscription with Symantec. If they do not support the software version I have then there is very little use in extending a subscription that may become useless at some stage.

I will have a look at the different links you have provided to me. But as I really can't afford to have my PC infected (it is currently the only PC in my household that is capable of running all the software applications I need), I will probably go for a paid anti-virus checker. Panda sounds interesting.

Again, thanks to all of you.

Regards,
Sonja
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Norton AntiVirus subscription ends - what other products are recommendable?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »