Andrea Re
Andrea Re  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:18
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 8, 2005

Hi,

after reading Kostantin's very convincing article I decided to try thunderbird as my default program for reading mail.
I had some problems with my signature, but managed to sort them out (outlook has the edge here). However what I can't solve is what to do with some attachments. I am a subscriber of Langit (an italian list for translators) and every day I get a "digest" with all the e-mails that have been sent which I duly received at the appropriate time. All the e-mails
... See more
Hi,

after reading Kostantin's very convincing article I decided to try thunderbird as my default program for reading mail.
I had some problems with my signature, but managed to sort them out (outlook has the edge here). However what I can't solve is what to do with some attachments. I am a subscriber of Langit (an italian list for translators) and every day I get a "digest" with all the e-mails that have been sent which I duly received at the appropriate time. All the e-mails appear as attachemnts (and that's fine), but when I click on one, the mother of all messages (so to speak) opens again with all the attachments.
I don't know if I managed to express myself at all.... what I mean is that I can't open the e-mail/attachments at all.
I tried the mozilla forum, but wasn't of much help.

On a similar subject... I was mulling over all these security issues that have been discussed; assuming that, say, Internet Explorer is inherently unsafe and that Mozilla Firefox is so much better, then my question is " how can Mozilla be free?". Starting from the premise that there isn't such a thing as a free lunch, why are these people offering a better product for free? There MUST be a catch somewhere. How are these people, the software manufacturer, making money?

Andrea
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:18
German to English
+ ...
Mozilla thunderbird Jul 8, 2005

Andrea Re wrote:

Starting from the premise that there isn't such a thing as a free lunch

Proz.com is also free (Platinum is optional).

Marc

Andrea Re
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mega OT Jul 8, 2005

MarcPrior wrote:

Andrea Re wrote:

Starting from the premise that there isn't such a thing as a free lunch

Proz.com is also free (Platinum is optional).

Marc

True, but I can see how Proz intends to make money. At Mozilla they ask you if you want to make a donation!?!?!?!?
As far as I can see there is nothing to be bought.

A.

Elena Bellucci
Elena Bellucci
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Service? Jul 8, 2005

Andrea Re wrote:

On a similar subject... I was mulling over all these security issues that have been discussed; assuming that, say, Internet Explorer is inherently unsafe and that Mozilla Firefox is so much better, then my question is " how can Mozilla be free?".

because Stallman could not get his printer working ^__^;

Ok, that's a GNU GPL licence legend but a nice explnation on free software (in Italian) is here:

http://www.softwarelibero.it/documentazione/softwarelibero.shtml

Starting from the premise that there isn't such a thing as a free lunch, why are these people offering a better product for free? There MUST be a catch somewhere. How are these people, the software manufacturer, making money?

Andrea

No lunch is free but there may be someone wishing to buy you one. ^__^

Back to serious talk, many opensource developers offer paid assistance or customisation services or they are somewhat connected to universities (as the debian communinty) or research groups funded by software/hardware manufacturers.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
what kind of file is the attachment? Extension? Jul 8, 2005

And have you tried to save the attachment somewhere?

Giovanni (thunderbird user)

[Edited at 2005-07-08 10:34]

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Have you ticked... Jul 8, 2005

View (3rd menu column) / Display attachments inline?

Andrea Re
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Indeed I have..... Jul 8, 2005

Oddie wrote:

View (3rd menu column) / Display attachments inline?

.... ticked and unticked the display thingy....., but no difference. i have a list of e-mails I can see, but not read:(

Andrea Re
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
slight improvement Jul 8, 2005

I have just realized that I actually "see" the attachments, but they are in a wee window just above the attachments themselves and it is a whopping 1 micron thick (unlike me:)

A.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Increase size of message window Jul 8, 2005

You should be able to increase the size of the message window to more than "micron-thick" by placing the mouse pointer on the bar above it, when it will turn into a two-headed arrow, and dragging the bar upwards.

Andrea Re
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
'fraid not Jul 8, 2005

Jack Doughty wrote:

You should be able to increase the size of the message window to more than "micron-thick" by placing the mouse pointer on the bar above it, when it will turn into a two-headed arrow, and dragging the bar upwards.

I had tried that, but nae joy. The pointer does become two-headed, but only at the top of the window and it doesn't let me change the size.

Andrea (micron-thick)

Jeremy Smith
Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
I use Mozilla Thunderbird Jul 8, 2005

...but I've never come across this problem. If you send me one of these e-mail digests you get, I'll have a look and see if if I get the same problem and/or look for a solution. [email protected]

UPDATE: Received the email. I'm just in the middle of a job right now, so I'll take a look later on this afternoon.

[Edited at 2005-07-08 13:23]

LuciaC
LuciaC
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
Attachments? Jul 8, 2005

I use Thunderbird and I receive both Langit and biblit as a digest. I don't get any attachments. With Langit I just receive one long email which includes all the messages. Biblit's digests are shorter (up to 25 messages) and come 3-4 times a day.

Have you checked if it's got to do with Txt/Html format? I also never encountered a problem (although I haven't found out yet how to hide a recepients' list), so I am pretty sure it must have something to do with your options. Don't get di
... See more
I use Thunderbird and I receive both Langit and biblit as a digest. I don't get any attachments. With Langit I just receive one long email which includes all the messages. Biblit's digests are shorter (up to 25 messages) and come 3-4 times a day.

Have you checked if it's got to do with Txt/Html format? I also never encountered a problem (although I haven't found out yet how to hide a recepients' list), so I am pretty sure it must have something to do with your options. Don't get discouraged and keep trying. Otherwise try downloading it again.

Ciao
Lucia
Collapse

LuciaC
LuciaC
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
Settings Jul 8, 2005

Since you have three options for digest, maybe you could try a different setting to see if the problem persists.

http://list.cineca.it/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=langit&A=1

Also, sorry if I didn't understand correctly, can you open other attachments, like text documents? Does the problem only concern mailing lists?

L.

ps. The open source idea i
... See more
Since you have three options for digest, maybe you could try a different setting to see if the problem persists.

http://list.cineca.it/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=langit&A=1

Also, sorry if I didn't understand correctly, can you open other attachments, like text documents? Does the problem only concern mailing lists?

L.

ps. The open source idea is above all a philosophy. A similar idea is Wikipedia, which has encountered a lot of scepticism but is turning into an invaluable tool. It is made by volunteers and is free.

[Edited at 2005-07-08 14:53]

[Edited at 2005-07-09 12:20]
Collapse

Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Czech to German
+ ...
Mozilla Store Jul 8, 2005

Andrea Re wrote:
As far as I can see there is nothing to be bought.
A.

Yes, you can buy things from the Mozilla Store but at the moment it "has been closed for renovations. We'll reopen soon with cool new products, enhanced customer service, and global delivery options. Stay tuned!"
I did not try it yet but most probably the surplus goes to the Mozilla foundation which "provides financial support to the Mozilla open-source software project".

Just click on "Store".

Charlotte

Tsu Dho Nimh
Tsu Dho Nimh
Local time: 19:18
English
It's Software Libre, that's why Jul 8, 2005

Andrea Re wrote:

Starting from the premise that there isn't such a thing as a free lunch, why are these people offering a better product for free? There MUST be a catch somewhere. How are these people, the software manufacturer, making money?

Andrea

It's quite simple ... it's "FOSS" (Free and Open Source) software.

There is NO manufacturer, in the traditional sense, with payroll and marketing and distribution costs. The programmers are working for various reasons - some are paid by corporations to improve various FOSS priojects, some volunteer their skills - but programmers HAVE to program the way writers HAVE to write - it's more of a hobby and competitive sport for them as it is a job.

The way it works, from one of the early creators:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar/

And the economics and management concepts of it:
http://www.benkler.org/CoasesPenguin.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mozilla thunderbird

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »