FineReader 8.0 -- corrupt cyrillic output
Thread poster: Alan Campbell
Alan Campbell
Alan Campbell  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:57
Russian to English
May 25, 2007

I just got a whole batch of PDFs through to translate. I use ABBYY FineReader 6.0 at a client's office for OCRing docs and know it well. It works really well with Russian docs.

So I downloaded and installed the trial version of FR 8.0 and added the Russian language to it. There I was, merrily scanning and spell checking several horrendously illegible docs (and a few legible ones) and bopping away to some tunes. Then I hit Save to Word and ended up with pages full of squares. Yes, s
... See more
I just got a whole batch of PDFs through to translate. I use ABBYY FineReader 6.0 at a client's office for OCRing docs and know it well. It works really well with Russian docs.

So I downloaded and installed the trial version of FR 8.0 and added the Russian language to it. There I was, merrily scanning and spell checking several horrendously illegible docs (and a few legible ones) and bopping away to some tunes. Then I hit Save to Word and ended up with pages full of squares. Yes, squares; row upon row of identical squares.

After much frustration and no results, I sent the batch file to my client's office (where I use FR 6.0) to output the corrected texts there. I was greeted with a friendly message to the effect that it could not be done since the batch file was created with a more recent version of FineReader!

So now I'm stuck, having spent pretty much the whole day scanning and correcting and not being able to do anything with it.

Can anyone help? I'm running XP Pro SP2 and Word 2003 if that helps.
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:57
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Alan May 26, 2007

I haven't tried FR ver.8, however, as far as I recall, try-and-buy versions 6 and 7 had the same problem, and the solution was as follows.

First of all uninstall FR8 and reboot.

Just installing the language package is not enough; before installing the software go to Windows control panel > International & language settings, and change the country for Russia. Then go (in the same window) to the Advanced tab and change the language for programs that don't recognize Unicod
... See more
I haven't tried FR ver.8, however, as far as I recall, try-and-buy versions 6 and 7 had the same problem, and the solution was as follows.

First of all uninstall FR8 and reboot.

Just installing the language package is not enough; before installing the software go to Windows control panel > International & language settings, and change the country for Russia. Then go (in the same window) to the Advanced tab and change the language for programs that don't recognize Unicode for Russian. After this install FineReader. After installation you may revert to your initial settings in the control panel.

However, if this method fails you may need cleaning the registry after deinstallation of the FR trial version (all entries containing the string 'ABBYY Finereader 8.0' should be removed manually; you need to be very cautious while doing this).
Collapse

Alan Campbell
Alan Campbell  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:57
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Bought it May 27, 2007

Thanks for the pointer Natalie. I decided just to buy the product as I'm going to be using it a lot and that way I would qualify for tech support. And wadda ya know, the paid-for version worked straight out the digital box.

So, back to work then...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

FineReader 8.0 -- corrupt cyrillic output

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »