Thread poster: rachelgreen45
rachelgreen45
rachelgreen45
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:29
French to English
+ ...
Feb 5, 2022

If you change the duration do you then have to change cps in settings too?

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
That’s a tricky question Feb 6, 2022

It’s best to follow the style guidelines from your client, which should regulate all the technical specs and requirements you will need to comply with. But if, for some odd reason, they didn’t provide you with one and expect you to go on your own, applying a well-established style guideline practiced by a major company such as Netflix would be the most sensible alternative. I’d avoid inventing my own style guideline, if that’s what you’re aiming for.

May I recommend you to
... See more
It’s best to follow the style guidelines from your client, which should regulate all the technical specs and requirements you will need to comply with. But if, for some odd reason, they didn’t provide you with one and expect you to go on your own, applying a well-established style guideline practiced by a major company such as Netflix would be the most sensible alternative. I’d avoid inventing my own style guideline, if that’s what you’re aiming for.

May I recommend you to check this AMA Subtitling thread? You might have a better luck in finding a proper answer.
Collapse

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:29
Member (2007)
English to Italian
What do you mean? Feb 6, 2022

Usually, the cps is set by the client and it never changes. If the duration of a given subtitle is shortened, then you work on your phrasing by reducing the number of words/characters to fit into the cps limitation.

[Edited at 2022-02-06 08:38 GMT]

Mr. Satan (X)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Min and max duration of subtitles

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »