Subtitling test preparation
Thread poster: Rose Sneyd, DipTrans, PhD
Rose Sneyd, DipTrans, PhD
Rose Sneyd, DipTrans, PhD  Identity Verified
Member (2023)
Italian to English
Aug 30, 2022

Hi everyone, I have an upcoming subtitling test but no experience in this very interesting field (not required for the job application). I would really love to get into this kind of work and was wondering if any experienced subtitle translators could suggest any useful resources (essays? book chapters?) or preparation methods? I would love some advice! Thanks very much.

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
AVT Resources Aug 31, 2022

Hi Rose,

For reading material, I recommend Subtitling: Concepts and Practices by Jorge Díaz-Cintas and Aline Remael. There’s also a free webinar on YouTube featuring Prof. Jorge, available in 2 parts. You can watch them here and here.

A col
... See more
Hi Rose,

For reading material, I recommend Subtitling: Concepts and Practices by Jorge Díaz-Cintas and Aline Remael. There’s also a free webinar on YouTube featuring Prof. Jorge, available in 2 parts. You can watch them here and here.

A collection of research papers can be found on the Journal of Audiovisual Translation. And while this is still quite a controversial subject, there’s the Code of Good Subtitling Practice formulated by Jan Ivarsson and Mary Carroll, with support from ESIST. AVTE also provides some interesting publications, particularly their Wannabe? and Machine Translation Manifesto sections.

The SUBTLE Association has a Tips section on their website. Within ProZ, there’s an ongoing megathread by Max Deryagin where you can ask any questions pertaining to subtitling.

Good luck on your test.

[Edited at 2022-08-31 14:03 GMT]
Collapse

Jose Manuel Guerrero Pendón

Stan Braga
Stan Braga
Local time: 17:56
Russian to Romanian
+ ...
Subtitle Edit and You Tube Aug 31, 2022

Hi Rose,
You can use Subtitle Edit, it is a free (open source) editor for video subtitles - a subtitle editor. With Subtitle Edit you can easily create or adjust a Subtitle file. At the beginning watch some tutorials on You Tube, just type in the "search" How To Create Subtitles in Subtitle Edit. After you get familiar with. srt files I will recommend to jump to more complex programs, but SE should be fine for the start.

Josephine Cassar
Radu Sargu

Andreas Kjeldsen
Andreas Kjeldsen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 16:56
English to Danish
+ ...
Danish Guidelines Sep 1, 2022

I would recommend taking a look at the Danish subtitling industry's common Guidelines for subtitling for an (admittedly country-specific) example of best practices: https://undertekstning.dk/english/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling test preparation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »