Thread poster: Mark Weatherall
Mark Weatherall
Mark Weatherall  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 06:47
Member (2013)
Chinese to English
Feb 16, 2023

I work with Chinese, which often has very long sentences. Sometimes I split these long sentences into separate segments to make them easier to translate.

When using CafeTran, after I am done translating the segments, I can then merge them again (so I can utilize the entire sentence in my TM) while retaining the translations of the separate segments. However, to my frustration, Trados does not retain the existing segment translations when I merge segments. Is there a way to get Trado
... See more
I work with Chinese, which often has very long sentences. Sometimes I split these long sentences into separate segments to make them easier to translate.

When using CafeTran, after I am done translating the segments, I can then merge them again (so I can utilize the entire sentence in my TM) while retaining the translations of the separate segments. However, to my frustration, Trados does not retain the existing segment translations when I merge segments. Is there a way to get Trados to do this?
Thanks!
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:47
English to Russian
Can't reproduce the issue Feb 19, 2023

When I split a sentence into three segments, translate each segment and then merge them, I get a translation assembled from the three segments. Probably you may try to uncheck the 'Apply better match if found in TM after merging segments' checkbox (Options-Editor-Automation) and/or, if unchecking the former doesn't help, the 'Apply best match after successful lookup' checkbox.
In my setup, I have both boxes checked but my Trados still merges segments fine, probably because of diffe
... See more
When I split a sentence into three segments, translate each segment and then merge them, I get a translation assembled from the three segments. Probably you may try to uncheck the 'Apply better match if found in TM after merging segments' checkbox (Options-Editor-Automation) and/or, if unchecking the former doesn't help, the 'Apply best match after successful lookup' checkbox.
In my setup, I have both boxes checked but my Trados still merges segments fine, probably because of different TM conditions (e.g., you have a fuzzy match in your TM, while I don't). Actually I don't quite understand what you mean by 'not retaining the existing segment translations'. Does it remove all, or inserts fuzzy repair matches, or modifies the existing translation somehow, or else?
Also try to disable the Match Repair feature (Project Settings-Language Pairs-Match Repair, both options Off). However, I think unchecking the 'Apply better match if found in TM after merging segments' box will do the trick.

[Edited at 2023-02-19 19:54 GMT]
Collapse

Mark Weatherall
Mark Weatherall  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 06:47
Member (2013)
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 21, 2023

Unchecking “Apply better match if found in TM after merging segments” did the trick. Thanks!

Stepan Konev

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Merge segments and keep existing translations

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »