Thread poster: kd42
kd42
kd42
Estonia
Local time: 22:34
English to Russian
Jun 10, 2023

Good day,
I have an untranslated presegmented file where the tabs are within the source data.
I would like to split the segments at the point where the tab is, this would make the translation much easier.
Is there a tool or a method besides searching for tabs and splitting the data manually?
Thank you.

James Plastow
James Plastow  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:34
Member (2020)
Japanese to English
use Word Jun 11, 2023

If you are allowed to, one way would be to select all of the source, paste it into Microsoft Word and then do a Find and Replace (press control h). Search for ^t and replace it with ^p
Then you could create a new Trados file from this Word document.

Xanthippe

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Bilingual table Jun 11, 2023

Export to a bilingual table. Hide all columns except for the first. Import as a new project, while splitting on tabs.

Replace ^t with ^p. Translate. Replace ^p with ^t. Import bilingual review table.

Screen Shot 2023-06-11 at 11.41.53

EDIT: In Trados, copy all sources to the target side first. Then create the export table. Hide everything but the Target column.

[Edited at 2023-06-11 09:53 GMT]

kd42
kd42
Estonia
Local time: 22:34
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Must be done in Studio ini order to preserve segment numbering Jun 11, 2023

Thanks a lot for your advice, I needed to split segments within SDL Studio because this preserves the segment numbering which is essential for delivery of the job via some clumsy online tool.
I "solved" the issue by finding all tabs and manually splitting the segments.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need a tool or a workflow to split segments by the tabs fast

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »