Thread poster: Yakov Katsman
Yakov Katsman
Yakov Katsman  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:57
Member (2016)
English to Russian
Jan 25

Client asking translate fillable PDF and return translation as fillable PDF. What CAT tools work directly with fillable PDF? What is the best way to handle such translation? Thanks Yakov Katsman

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:57
Member (2008)
Italian to English
My suggestion Jan 25

Yakov Katsman wrote:

Client asking translate fillable PDF and return translation as fillable PDF. What CAT tools work directly with fillable PDF? What is the best way to handle such translation? Thanks Yakov Katsman

My suggestion: politely inform the client that it is not possible to translate a PDF in a way that maintains the formatting. Ask them to kindly provide an MSWord version, which you could then translate and then save as a PDF. It is not the translator's job to spend time trying to convert a PDF into a translatable format. A translator *translates* - nothing else.

[Edited at 2024-01-25 19:06 GMT]

Lisette Vogler-Chase
Philip Lees
neilmac

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 01:57
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Trados Studio 2022 Jan 25

In Trados it’s possible to translate directly from PDF, and save as any target (Word, PDF).

Unless it’s a scanned PDF or has some weird embedded/added graphics, this process in Trados should be pretty smooth and successful.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:57
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No CAT tool can do that Jan 25

Yakov Katsman wrote:
Client asking translate fillable PDF and return translation as fillable PDF.

As far as I know, no CAT tool can work with fillable PDFs. Trados can't, MemoQ can't, Wordfast Pro can't.

Trados can convert a PDF file into a Word file and let you translate it, but you would be translating the text outside the fillable sections, and your translation won't end up in the fillable sections... plus, the file that Trados generates probably won't even have fillable sections anymore.

I'm afraid you're going to have to translate this like you translate in Notepad.

Gerard de Noord

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:57
English to Russian
PDF Editor Jan 26

Technically you can translate editable PDF files but it requires extra investments and effort.
You can use Iceni PDF Editor (paid) or Foxit (I am pretty sure Foxit PhantomPDF can do the same, but I have never tried it though) to export your editable PDF file into a xml file and then translate it with Trados.

Once you are done with your translation, you can import the xml file back into Iceni PDF Editor. Therefore, a first problem is that you have to buy a new program or have
... See more
Technically you can translate editable PDF files but it requires extra investments and effort.
You can use Iceni PDF Editor (paid) or Foxit (I am pretty sure Foxit PhantomPDF can do the same, but I have never tried it though) to export your editable PDF file into a xml file and then translate it with Trados.

Once you are done with your translation, you can import the xml file back into Iceni PDF Editor. Therefore, a first problem is that you have to buy a new program or have your client bought it for you.

A second problem here is that you would have to edit your deliverable pdf file because of the issues arising from different languages (length of words, position, layout, etc.). That means you would need some time to learn how to use the program (learning curve).

In other words, this is possible but not very efficient if you never did it before.

Below is a raw DeepL translation I quickly made from a sample editable PDF file available from the web.
Most of the text has been successfully translated with Trados except the selectable field 'Months'. You still can localize it too, but not from Trados (unlike the other texts that appear translated). You would have to replace those field values in Iceni PDF Editor.

[Edited at 2024-01-26 12:40 GMT]
Collapse

Jorge Payan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fillable PDF translation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »