Script language: translate or not?
Thread poster: Elvira Schmid
Elvira Schmid
Elvira Schmid  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:53
English to German
Aug 6, 2007

A number of sample scripts are shown in the translation. Should I translate these or do they have to remain in English for the application to work? Thank you all.

If lResult = 0 Or bSendOnError = True Then
' Set email parameters, including CosmoCall parameters, and send it.
With g_objMailer

Call LogEvent("CallXMLsendEmail", "Not sending email because an error was encountered (" & lResult & ") and Send On Error was set to " & bSendOnError)
End If

Enes Kuru
Enes Kuru
Türkiye
Local time: 22:53
Turkish to German
+ ...
Scrip translation Aug 6, 2007

Hi, only translate thıs part.

Elvira Schmid wrote:

..Not sending email because an error was encountered... ...and Send On Error was set to..

The other part is the Script code.

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Script language: translate or not? Aug 6, 2007

The script commands should not be translated, of course. You should only translate the comment and the strings in double quotes (in bold):

With g_objMailer

Call LogEvent("CallXMLsendEmail", "Not sending email because an error was encountered (" & lResult & ") and Send On Error was set to " & bSendOnError)
End If

Elvira Schmid
Elvira Schmid  Identity Verified
Italy
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 6, 2007

Thank you all!

megane_wang
megane_wang  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Don't be afraid to ask the customer for the rest :) Aug 6, 2007

Hello Elvira,

Enes and Hynek are right, but don't be afraid to ask the customer to mark the texts that have to be translated. In these cases it's absolutely normal (I would say mandatory) that they do so. It avoids lots of errors and spares translation and revision time.

Best luck,

Ruth @ MW

[Edited at 2007-08-06 11:18]

eesegura
eesegura  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
absolutely right Aug 6, 2007

Elvira Schmid wrote:

Should I translate these or do they have to remain in English for the application to work?

If you change anything in the script part (whether it's in English or another language - and although I've never seen scripts in another language, they might exist), the software application will not work.

[Edited at 2007-08-06 14:47]

dom_fr
dom_fr
France
English to French
From a programmer point of vue Aug 6, 2007

1/ I would prefer :

With g_objMailer

End If

Because variables help to understand the script.

2/ I hope the code will be tested ! Just imagine an example, that is not working.

Claudia Krysztofiak
Claudia Krysztofiak  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Beware the variables ... Aug 6, 2007

While I assume it is correct that you should only translate the text parts pointed out by Hynek (if any at all, according to your customer's wishes) you also have to stay aware of the context.

The English output of the second part would look something like:

Not sending email because an error was encountered (SomeError) and Send On Error was set to False.

In my example I replaced the variables
lResult with SomeError
and
bSendOnError with
... See more
While I assume it is correct that you should only translate the text parts pointed out by Hynek (if any at all, according to your customer's wishes) you also have to stay aware of the context.

The English output of the second part would look something like:

Not sending email because an error was encountered (SomeError) and Send On Error was set to False.

In my example I replaced the variables
lResult with SomeError
and
bSendOnError with False
(You do not do that for translation! It is just an example for how this line works.)

When you translate the surrounding text you have to take care that these variables are placed in the right position, otherwise the resulting message won't make sense in the target language. Also, if it is not obvious from the translation, it may be wise to ask what exactly the first variable stands for, because it is sometimes helpful for the translation.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Script language: translate or not?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »