Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
New PC - is a Solid State Drive Smart Response Technology enhancement worth having?
Thread poster: Caroline Lakey
Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 20:00
English to Chinese
Amazon US is having a one-day sale on SSD today (8/21) Aug 21, 2012

This information is for US based translators who are interested in this SSD product.

See more
This information is for US based translators who are interested in this SSD product.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=xs_gb_AO03OV1XEB54V?ie=UTF8&docId=1000816791&pf_rd_p=441937901&pf_rd_s=right-1&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1Q461H1H7TFVMSHC6MV7

What confuses me is, according to the product description, SSD would replace my HD rather than complement it. So if I do get a 120 or 240 GB SSD, my hard drive (1TB) would be gone and I am left with less storage room in my computer? Does this mean that if I do decide to buy, I should go with 240 GB? (It still sounds "small" to me.)

Thank you for sharing with me your knowledge.

Chun-yi
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:00
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Depends Aug 21, 2012

In a laptop, the SSD will replace the HDD. In a desktop, you can probably have both. 240GB is plenty. Unless you absolutely must have more than 30 full-length movies in HD on your computer at all times, it's more than enough. In fact, I can't think of any reasonable way of filling up a 240GB HDD with translation-related files unless you translate video. If you do find yourself short on space, you can put your old HDD in an external USB enclosure and store media files/backups there.

... See more
In a laptop, the SSD will replace the HDD. In a desktop, you can probably have both. 240GB is plenty. Unless you absolutely must have more than 30 full-length movies in HD on your computer at all times, it's more than enough. In fact, I can't think of any reasonable way of filling up a 240GB HDD with translation-related files unless you translate video. If you do find yourself short on space, you can put your old HDD in an external USB enclosure and store media files/backups there.

Until a few months ago, I had a 120GB SSD and it was more than enough for normal stuff excluding video files, which I put on a 32GB SD card that permanently resided in my laptop's SD slot. Since then I've upgraded to a faster 240GB drive and don't need the semi-external SD card.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
On confusion Aug 22, 2012

Chun-yi Chen wrote:
What confuses me is, according to the product description, SSD would replace my HD rather than complement it. So if I do get a 120 or 240 GB SSD, my hard drive (1TB) would be gone and I am left with less storage room in my computer?

Yes, if your computer doesn't have room for two hard drives, then the SSD will replace your other hard drive, and you'll have less space. However, if this is a laptop we're talking about, then you can always put your old hard drive into an external case that is powered by USB, so you can have your large data files nearby anyway (movies? photos?).

Some laptops come with an mSATA hard drive, which is also an SSD drive but which is much smaller than a normal hard drive (in physical size), so such laptops would have two hard drives (the mSATA plus possibly a very large traditional disk or otherwise a somewhat larger SSD). Note that not all laptops can handle mSATA drives. The advantage of an mSATA drive would be that you can boot your computer off the mSATA drive much faster, and then use the traditional drive for your files.

I suppose (but I'm no expert) that if you can have two hard drives in your computer, you should make the SSD drive your boot drive. Is that right?

By the way, I see Amazon still offers those drives at around 60% discount today:
http://tinyurl.com/c2ylotg

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Two disks in a laptop... SD card... Sep 23, 2012

FarkasAndras wrote:

In a laptop, the SSD will replace the HDD.

In most cases, yes.
Nonetheless, some (usually expensive) models allow two hard disks.
E.g. Dell Precision m4600.

Until a few months ago, I had a 120GB SSD and it was more than enough for normal stuff excluding video files, which I put on a 32GB SD card that permanently resided in my laptop's SD slot.

Me too, I have a "permanent" 32 GB SD card.
Cheap and fast enough for most auxiliary purposes.

Cheers
GG

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Boot Sep 23, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

I suppose (but I'm no expert) that if you can have two hard drives in your computer, you should make the SSD drive your boot drive. Is that right?

Yes. Put everything that needs to be accessed/written fast on the SSD. That means the OS, applications, swap files, hibernation files and large data sets that need to be accessed fast and/or randomly (i.e. not as a continuous stream).
Spinning platter drives work great for video (large files that are read sequentially and need not be read fast).

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 20:00
English to Chinese
The offers on Amazon are no longer valid Sep 23, 2012

I wanted to remove the link in my earlier post but since it's past the 24 hour editing window time, I couldn't remove it.
The one day sale I saw two weeks ago had a better (lower) price.

Chun-yi

Samuel Murray wrote:

By the way, I see Amazon still offers those drives at around 60% discount today:
http://tinyurl.com/c2ylotg

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New PC - is a Solid State Drive Smart Response Technology enhancement worth having?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »